Do you present yourself in a clean branded attire and smile? Before you have even stepped in the door a customer has already decided if they would like to give you the opportunity to win the job so get that first impression right. It is the same story with your trades business too. You need to get the first impression correct. The best way to do it is to get a great online presence for your trades business.
Trades businesses without an online presence is similar to a car without wheels; you cannot move forward. Having a digital presence is no longer an option, it is a requirement. This is a factor that individuals and businesses need to get into their systems. It is part and parcel of life to be online, engage, contribute to and get involved in digital initiatives. How can trades businesses generate leads through online presence? Let’s find out.
Publish Your Trades Business Website in Online Listings
Publishing your Trades business website in online listings is one of the easiest ways to get referral traffic. What you need to keep in mind is that not all such websites will give you leads. So instead, focus on the ones that are most relevant to trades businesses or generate the most traffic.
Below image shows a Trades business online listing.
Once your trades business is included in an online listing, it will appear with higher rankings and be displayed as in the below image.
Publish Guest Blog Posts
External links and calls-to-action are typically present on most blogs. If you are able to get a post featured in a well-known Trades business industry website, you will benefit from the referral traffic and links coming to your site. It’s beneficial to focus your efforts on websites that are considered thought leaders in the Trades business industry.
There are few tips to keep in mind when guest blogging:
- Focus on websites related to your industry.
- Keep the target audience in mind while writing – Most blogs have quite strict guidelines in place for guest bloggers.
- Write content under your own name – After all, you don’t want someone else getting credit for what you have done.
- Link to Influencers – They will focus their attention and might even help promote your guest blog post, which in turn will increase the referral traffic it generates.
Leverage Social Media
Using social media to maximum advantage is of paramount importance for trades business owners since they are mostly on the move. Moreover, 75% found their website traffic increased as a result of their social media efforts. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google Plus, Instagram and Pinterest were the top 7 social media platforms used by marketers. Being active on social media is no longer a trend. It’s a strategy plenty of Tradies need to come up with to get more traffic, leads and sales.
Every time you tweet, share, like or pin a piece of content, you are creating an opportunity to drive referral traffic to your website. The other plus is that you are increasing the possibility of your content showing up at the top of Google.
Tradies using social media will have improved search rankings if they make use of their online presence effectively as mentioned in this article. Referral traffic not only bring in new customers; but, makes a massive impact on your trades business being easily visible on the internet
Comment on Blogs
Does blog commenting really help SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)? It does not only help with SEO but generate more referral traffic for your website too. Commenting on blogs will definitely increase your referral traffic; we need to make sure that we are not spamming. The below mentioned facts need to be considered when commenting on blogs.
- Make sure your comments are valuable – Don’t boast or complain. If your comments are negative or promotional, keep them to yourself.
- Focus on blogs which enable to add links in your comment; since, the purpose of commenting is to get more referral traffic and you should be able to add the link to your website.
- As in search engines, if you can get your comment on top of the comments list you are more likely to generate more clicks and traffic.
Be Active on Trades Business Industry Forums
Online forums are great sources of potential leads and customers but are often overlooked as a marketing strategy for generating traffic. Similar to blog comments, you should focus your efforts on forums in the Trades business industry such as Tradie Life and always be try to add value without sounding too promotional.
Follow these steps when getting involved in Trades business industry forums:
- Make sure the forum is active – Don’t engage with forums that haven’t had a new post for a month.
- Register using your brand name – You want to make sure people associate your comments with a memorable brand name.
- Create a signature with a call-to-action link – This is a fitting way to drive traffic to your website.
- Use real life examples – Don’t just offer your advice. Try to provide value using your personal experience.
- Share your resources – Start a new thread with a link to a resource you think could benefit the group. If you’re proud of a particular piece of content it’s likely others will enjoy it too.
The single most important form of content for trades business is visuals. 37% of marketers’ preference is using visual content. Humans have attention spans shorter than goldfish and it’s easier for the brain to consume an image than a chunk of text
The great thing about infographics is they can help people understand complex data with simple visuals. The goal is to get your infographic shared, liked, and pinned on social networks and have others embed it in their articles.
In addition to your own website, there are several websites where you can post an infographic. One of my favorites is Pinterest. After all, Pinterest is responsible for around 5% of all referral traffic to websites, second only to Facebook. Pinterest gives you the option to link your infographic to your website and makes it easy for it be shared on other boards.
These are some of the benefits of using infographics;
- They are persuasive and eye-catching
- They prove you are the expert
- They generate more traffic
- They are easily read, understood and remembered
- They are great for SEO
- They are portable and can be embedded
- They enable you to connect with your target audience
- They are easy to track and analyze
The above mentioned methods and strategies can be used by trades businesses to generate more leads through online presence; i.e. having online presence other than your trades business website. So, let’s start commenting on blogs, leveraging social media, posting infographics, etc. and take your trades business to the next level having phenomenal online presence.
Head of Customer Experience – i4Tradies | Digital Media Enthusiast